Sep 16, 2012

Reaching into the past to find goals for the future

Rick (hubby) and I were daydreaming this morning about what we'd love to do (if money wasn't a factor) in our future after we retire. I have never really thought about this because like most Americans my age (mid-50s) live pay check to paycheck and what's a retirement plan anyway? And although I've spent almost 25 years of my life as a teacher, preschools don't offer retirement plans to teachers. So, if there will be anything left of the Social Security System when I retire, I'm sure it won't be much. When I was in college in the '70s my Sociology prof told the class that there will be no Social Security for us... looks like this premonition just might come true :)

That's all beside the point, to get back to our dream retirement... I LOVE to travel. And I also love photography. Rick loves to drive and loves to go camping... so we talked about how fun it would be to have a camper and just travel all over the mainland and Canada.

And that lead me to looking into how and when campers became popular. I thought I'd share what I found out...

In the United States and Canada, the history of travel trailers can be traced back to the early 1920s, when those who enjoyed their use were often referred to as 'tin can tourists'. As time progressed, trailers became more live able and earned a new name in the 1930s and 1940s, which was the house trailer.In the 1950s and 1960s, the industry seemed to split, creating the two types that we see today, that of the recreational vehicle (RV) industry and mobile home industry. Today travel trailers are classified as a type of RV along with motor homes, fifth wheel trailers, pop-up trailers, and truck campers.

As I've traveled in cyberspace I've got glances of beautifully restored vintage 'travel trailers'. Here are a few... aren't they so inviting?




I love this yellow color theme. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Don't Carry Tales from Pinup Girl (1944)

From Twice Blessed (1945)

Cadance is wonderful!!!